Sunday, May 1, 2011

Five Minute Brooch



I was browsing around Hobby Lobby the other day (I know big shock there) when I came across an adorable owl pendant. I knew I wanted it, but I didn't want to use it for its intended purpose of going on a necklace. I scooped it up because it was the last one they had and continued looking around. Then I saw a package of feathers formed into a circle and knew exactly what I was going to make with my cute little owl pendant. A brooch for my sister. She's been on a real owl kick lately, and this is perfect for her.

This project was a cinch to make. I call it the five minute brooch because that's exactly how long it took me to throw together. It's a fast and easy (not to mention cheap!) way to make an impact or spice up an otherwise drab outfit. The best part about this owl brooch is that it can be used on practically anything. Let's get started shall we?

Supplies:

The felt circle is optional if you don't want to use it. I used it just to have a little extra reinforcement on my brooch. 

The first thing I did was cut off the little loop at the top of the pendant for a necklace to slide through. I didn't feel it was necessary for it to be there. I just hacked away at it with a pair of scissors until it came off. :)

Take your pendant and add a generous amount of hot glue to the back like so:

Now place it onto your feathers. It would be a smart idea to figure out your placement BEFORE you start gluing though. That way you don't ruin your pretty little feathers!

Let your glue set for a minute, then flip your brooch over. Grab your pin and decide where you want it to go, then slap some glue on the back of it and put it on the back of the brooch like so:

Here's where the felt circle comes into play if you decide to use it. Put glue on the back of the felt and place it over the inside of the pin (the three circles). I don't have a picture of this step, but it's pretty self explanatory.

And that's all she wrote folks! You now have a one of a kind brooch that you can wear on basically any article of clothing or even put it on a bag. And you can whip it up during a commercial break of your favorite TV show. ;)




Go forth and craft!

No comments:

Post a Comment